Rajapaksa Denies Post-Election Coup Bid
Posted on January 13th, 2015

Hot News

Sri Lanka’s former president Mahinda Rajapaksa has denied government allegations that he attempted to remain in office after it became clear that he had lost last week’s election.

In comments published on Twitter as Pope Francis landed on the island, Rajapaksa insisted he had readily accepted “the people’s verdict” in what was his first reaction to last Thursday’s polls.

Newly elected President Maithripala Sirisena’s top aides – Minister of Health Rajitha Senaratne and Foreign Minister Mangala Samaraweera – have alleged that Rajapaksa had tried to use the military to prevent the election result from being released in order to continue in office despite the defeat.

But Rajapaksa wrote: “I deny in all possible terms reports of attempts to use the military to influence election results.

“I accepted the outcome long before the final official results were released and congratulated the new president,” he said.

The 69-year-old, who came to power in a 2005 presidential election, added that he had “always bowed down to the people’s verdict”.

 

One Response to “Rajapaksa Denies Post-Election Coup Bid”

  1. Christie Says:

    A great man. Time to stand up to the Indian Empire. It is the Indian imperialists who let you win over Ranil by asking Tamils not to vote at the election. In 2010 they put Sarath Fonseka and Indian imperialists lost. In 2015 Indian Imperialists got Chandrika to work for them and got Sirisena.
    Indian imperialists have directly interfered in countries elections since 1951 when they got SWRD.
    Guess who are the election monitor of the Commonwealth in 2015 Bharatt Jugdio an Indian from Guyana, then in 2005 an Indian named Cooke from Australia.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

 

 


Copyright © 2018 LankaWeb.com. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Wordpress