Is Sri Lanka insane to proceed with a new Constitution when country is unstable and LTTE terrorism & separatism is alive?
Posted on February 14th, 2017
Shenali D Waduge
The present government would well do to listen to the pulse of the people. 93% people polled do not wish to have a new constitution, moreover the proposals directly conflict with the status quo prevailing and will lead to dangerous ramifications none of which the committee have answers for. Why should we deal with problems after knowingly creating them? The proposals to weaken the centre and give virtual executive powers to the provinces going beyond general federal framework and departing from unitary status is inadvisable given the context of the political activism by those who are likely to lead two sensitive and volatile provinces. This island nation withstood invasions from South India and even colonial rulers, not to be divided by some committee who have no aim to protect the national history and heritage of our proud past. No new constitution can create identities or values completing disregarding and omitting the history of those who built the nation and the principles on which it was built.
The actions of the present government have been questionable and a list of faux pas is shocking.
- Co-sponsoring the UN resolution thereby betraying the heroic men who sacrificed their lives to end LTTE terrorism and agreeing to only press war crimes charges against the soldiers by agreeing to have international judges and an international special court, completely ignoring the evidence at hand and ignoring that all of UN’s special courts have been utter failures.
- Deproscribing banned LTTE fronts and individuals on the excuse of ‘reconciliation’
- releasing without conditions hardcore LTTE cadres including the leader of the female sea tigers, while targeting military leaders and military personnel and charging them on frivolous non-bailable offences.
- agreeing to compensate LTTE cadres without charging for crimes that include murdering innocent civilians.
- Allocating lands without asserting whether those demanding lands even owned lands and can prove they owned lands. In short simply giving into and buckling to pressures.
- tricking SLFP into forming ‘national government’ to enable ‘sole representatives of the Tamil people is LTTE’ claiming Sambanthan to become Opposition Leader
- TNA storming army camps demanding documents!
- Distancing Sri Lanka from historical friends China and Pakistan both countries who helped Sri Lanka end the conflict
- Regular discovery of suicide jackets and bombs while quite strangely Sri Lanka’s ammunition factory explodes
- All types of stunts have been pulled since May 2009 to demand removal of military from the North and closure of all military bases in the North.
- A similar onslaught against Sinhalese claiming ‘colonization’ is also with covert attempt to remove all Sinhalese from the North and East and by default claim area as separate Tamil land. The new constitution is aiming to facilitate this overall objective.
- Eastern Province Chief Minister to get accolades from the US envoy next to him abuses a naval officer in public and the naval officer gets transferred.
- Open commemoration of LTTE inside state universities and even schools and nothing is done. Open commemoration of LTTE even by Chief Minister and the Opposition Leader’s own Party – even the national flag is burnt and torn and nothing is done.
- Armed gangs are operating in the North on bicycles
- GSP plus by EU on the assurance that Sri Lanka completely undermines its own national security and sovereignty. What kind of concessions are these forcing irreversible changes to trade deals that can easily be reversed or removed as EU has done in the past.
- And the PM wants to build a highway connecting Tamil Nadu to Sri Lanka !
Factors that cannot be ignored by the Government.
- 93% public polled do not wish for a new constitution. This beckons to question exactly what MINORITY of people want a new constitution & why, are their claims relevant or are they only mouthpieces of parties that wish to continue to destabilize Sri Lanka.
- LTTE foreign conspired plot to assassinate TNA MP Sumanthiran. This revelation shows that Sri Lanka’s security has been weakened, that LTTE cadres are now moving in and out of the country, that various parties have tapped into these trained militant killers and can make use of them for political assassinations. TID have arrested 4 LTTE cadres in Kilinochchi following investigations
- February 2017 – Police Counter Terrorism Unit warns of LTTE resurgence http://www.sundaytimes.lk/170212/columns/lack-of-direction-in-issues-related-to-defence-and-security-228102.html
- December 2016 – Tamils for Obama request removal of LTTE as a foreign terrorist organization.
- September 2016 – 15,000 Tamils gather to reject Unitary Constitution – completely false notions were spread ignoring that a Sinhale Buddhist civilization existed prior to the arrival of Tamils from South India. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=629411457220664&id=259687970859683
- April 2016 – the Northern Provincial Council has boldly passed a resolution contravening its mandate claiming ‘Sinhalese colonization in the North – clear historical proof exists to show Sinhalese were very much living in the North and East far before Tamils arrived from South India. However, TNA and NPC chief minister are regularly organizing public demos demanding Sinhalese be removed from North while daily Tamils are colonizing South areas.
- February 2015 – NPC passes genocide resolution https://www.colombotelegraph.com/index.php/full-text-npcs-resolution-on-genocide-of-sri-lankan-tamil/
- June 2015 – ruling UNP Tamil minister whose own husband was killed by the LTTE, claims people were safer under LTTE. The same Minister a few months later said that Prabakaran would have been the Prime Minister if Rajapakse’s had not killed him.
- In September 2015 the Sri Lanka United National Association of Canada issued a report that LTTE fronts were producing fabricated reports & documentaries to frame Sri Lanka. The report accused the 15 LTTE fronts banned by UNSC Resolution 1373 and the 424 individuals as using their accumulated funds earned through human smuggling, extortion and other illegal operations to influence the UNHRC. Referring to ‘Tainted-Freedom from Torture Report’ and video “Sri Lanka-the Search for Justice” SLUNA has accused the report of being about former LTTE cadres who had escaped to the UK via LTTE fronts and that the scars on their bodies were done in the UK for payment to facilitate asylum claims. SLUNA also accuses the video as being the same as the C4 video appearing yearly before UNHRC sessions. A C4 director is married to Ms. Sabaratnam who is alleged to be linked to LTTE and is a producer in C4. Vany Kumar a star witness turns out to be a LTTE activist. http://www.asiantribune.com/node/87970
Destabalizing hand of India continues to prevail.
Sri Lanka CANNOT ever ignore that armed militancy was initiated by Indian Government in the 1970s. All Tamil armed groups were created with the assistance of Indian Government with training, money and even logistical assistance given. Therefore, every event & incident associated with Tamils invariably has a touch of Indian involvement for whatever reason and this has to be taken into cognizance by any government in power. Neither molly cuddling to India nor going gun-ho with India can solve matters. A diplomatic national policy specifically for India is a must.
Many of the current rise in mischief making groups are being attributed to the Indian operatives including the manner they are using Tamils and playing them against each other while also using them to make demands on an appeasing government all of which work towards Indian geopolitical advantage.
- February 2017 – Former foreign secretary and national security advisor to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Shiv Shankar Menon’s book admits India’s role in Sri Lanka’s conflict. https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/02/10/slin-f10.html
- August 2016 – release of Journalist Neena Gopal’s book “The Assassination of Rajiv Gandhi” confirms that Prabakaran’s deputy that Gopalaswamy Mahendrarajah alias Mahattaya was a Research and Analysis Wing mole. This means that every decision taken by the LTTE leader was passed to India and India was well aware of it. That Mahattaya was killed after Prabakaran found out also shows that Prabakaran a creation of India, wished to have no ties to India after he had established himself.
- Regular discoveries of arms/ammunition etc reveal that clandestinely these are flowing from Tamil Nadu to Sri Lanka and is possibly the reason for vast numbers of Indian fishermen demanding rights to fish in Sri Lanka while Tamils are used to complain against the Sri Lankan Armed Forces to scare the government into confining them to barracks so a plethora of illicit and illegal activities can continue as before.
LTTE continues – Racism – Separatism thrives
- December 2016 – LTTE Tamils in UK seeking to make a LTTE monument on a 24-acre land from Oxfordshire spending over 1.4 million Sterling Pounds
- May 2016 – LTTE’s intelligence chief for Batticoloa, Praba arrested http://tamildiplomat.com/lttes-former-intelligence-chief-for-batticaloa-district-prabha-arrested/
- Suicide bombers released unconditionally. President Maithripala Sirisena releases the LTTE cadre who attempted to take his life when he was health minister. (Jan 2016) A ceremony was held for this occasion. http://www.dailymirror.lk/102333/president-pardons-man-who-attempted-to-assas
- Suicide bombers celebrated by Jaffna & Eastern universities & in schools – Even ‘moderate’ MP Sumanthiran in Parliament declared “If you are serious about reconciliation it is important for you to allow memorialisation. The government has agreed that memorialisation will be allowed.” (Nov 2015).
- LTTE cemeteries being rebuilt – completely ignoring the many lives (both non-Tamil and Tamil) extinguished by LTTE.
- Racist rallies organized by the TNA and TNA NPC Chief Minister C V Wigneswaran
- Destruction of Buddhist sites in North and East
A court case has been filed following several incidents of Buddhist temples and Buddhist statues being destroyed
- Threats to Sinhalese living in North & East
TNA leaders chant ‘colonization’ and foreign sympathizers either ignorant of definition of colonization or simply towing the line have been posing threats to the Sinhalese who had been living in the North before independence and who were chased out of their homes by LTTE. No resettlement assistance has been given to them, very little foreign media exposure is given to their plight and their grievances never get even a one line mention in any UN or NGO reports.
Forbidding Tamils to marry Sinhalese
Tamil politicians spreading racism and hatred – Vanni protest against violent Sinhala colonists
- Attacks on Sinhala students studying at the Jaffna university
Tamil academia racism and separatism – May 2016, Jaffna university commemorated dead LTTE cadres.
http://www.redspark.nu/en/national-liberation-struggle/university-of-jaffna-commemorates-tamil-eelam-heroes/ (these photos of Tamil academics praying for murderers is shocking)
http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/south-asia/jaffna-varsity-teachers-assert-right-to-mourn/article6006123.ece (Jaffna teachers want to mourn LTTE cadres)
Jaffna university students attack Sinhala students – July 2016
Sinhalese students were attacked just because they had prepared a traditional Kandyan dance to receive the freshers at the university. One student had injuries to head and had to be operated.
TNA links to terror & separatism uninvestigated
TNA raid army camps
December 2015 – TNA NPC Chief Minister forms Tamil Makkal Peravai or Tamil Peoples’ Assembly (TPA) also known as the TPC – a sign of splitting TNA. Though claiming to be non-political party, the TPC is demanding an international war crimes inquiry – http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/TPC-wants-Int-l-probe-on-war-crimes-allegations-123658.html?fbrefresh=refresh
- NPC Chief Minister has been flouting protocols and even violating the Constitution. Signing MOUs with foreign entities, continuous claims of ‘militarization’ hysteria giving a totally false notion to the external world completely ignoring that it was the military that he is accusing who saved 300000 Tamil civilians, built them homes with their own hands, helped them set up schools, renovated damaged kovils and other sites, helped them with their farming etc all while the Chief Minister himself was living comfortably in Colombo as were other TNA MPs.
- In September 2016, the SLFP condemned NPC Chief Minister Wigneswaran’s “Eluga Thamil” “Rise up Tamils” campaign organized by the Tamil People’s Council headed by the CM was also supported by EPRLF and PLOTE (former armed militant groups) Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva sked TNA to take disciplinary action against him. Nimal Siripala de Silva is on record “this political drama being enacted by Wigneswaran to collect a few points and satisfy LTTE sympathizers goes against the governments reconciliation efforts”
TNA demanded singing of National Anthem in Tamil. Violating the constitution it was done but now TNA CM is making Tamils sing a totally different anthem.
Also one of the proposals by the committee is to change the national flag. However, what difference is that going to make when the original flag did not even represent Tamils and Muslims and two stripes were introduced to accommodate both minorities, but this is the gratitude shown in respecting the national flag. How much needs to be given to those that have no gratitude and show no respect and have no limit to the demands made until they possess a separate land.
LTTE foreign network alive & thriving
Following the removal of several LTTE diaspora groups and individuals from the UNSC Resolution 1373 ban, these entities lost no time in once more pressurizing UN and foreign governments to press war crimes charges against the soldiers.
- September 2016 – Sri Lankan envoy to Malaysia was attacked by pro-LTTE Indians inside the Malaysian international airport
- Feb 2015 – M.A.Sumanthiran, a Tamil National Alliance (TNA) MP visits Geneva to lobby for release of UN investigation report http://www.newindianexpress.com/world/TNA-Lobbying-in-Geneva-for-Release-of-UN-Report-on-SL-War-Crimes/2015/02/07/article2657623.ece
- June 2015 : The Tamil National Alliance (TNA) and the Global Tamil Forum (GTF) meet in London alongside Foreign Minister Mangala Samaraweera – http://srilankabrief.org/2015/06/confidence-building-measures-in-sri-lanka-tna-gtf-on-london-meeting/
- July 2015 – Tamil Nadu police arrest member of LTTE who had in his possession 75 cyanide capsules, 300 gm cyanide, a GPS device and a few mobile phones
- October 2015 – LTTE in France recommence raising funds to resurrect LTTE. http://english.acmc.lk/13930/
- October 2015 : GTF dine with Foreign Minister in London at home of Suren Surendiran http://lankanewsweb.net/news/special-news/item/940-gtf-dine-foreign-minister
- September 2015 : 15 Pro-LTTE diaspora groups converge in Geneva hiring PR firm TPR media consultants
- September 2015 : Banned LTTE front GTF’s head Father Emmanuel releases statement looking forward to the international component of the Resolution http://sangam.org/fr-emmanuel-statement-unhrc/
- LTTE diaspora was recently protesting outside Sri Lanka high commission in the UK
- https://www.facebook.com/australiantamilcongress/posts/1760152524237051 Australian Tamil Congress (ATC) & Global Tamil Forum (GTF) calls for autonomous unit in North-East – ATC was banned as LTTE front in April 2014.
What country proceeds to make a constitution when the proposals that have so far being made fall well in line with the demands made proceeding to a separate state. Lets remind all that the ITAK constitution itself continues to be challenged for its confederal aims though Tamil politicians decry demand for a federal constitution. Why should parties & individuals uninvestigated for links to terrorists have any rights to make demands to what should and should not be included into a new constitution? Why should a state accommodate these demands knowing what the end objective is?
The LTTE diaspora banned in 2014 and now deproscribed are again chanting the same separatist slogans, Tamil politicians are doing the same – so where is this reconciliation heading?
It is time common sense prevailed. No nation can change its destination to the whims of separatists and people who playing no role in building the nation or have afforded any service to the nation.
When 93% people say they do not wish to have a new constitution – it is that view that the government needs to uphold not the whims of a handful of eternal whiners.
Shenali D Waduge