Policemen told to meditate every day ….IGP
Posted on April 11th, 2017
Dr Sarath Obeysekera
This reminds me of a Prison Chief of India –Dr Krina Bedi (Mrs)
“In March 1993, a woman named Dr Kiran Bedi became Inspector General of the Tihar Jail in New Delhi, the largest prison in India holding nearly 10,000 inmates. In her search for a technique of rehabilitation which would not only prepare her inmates for a successful return to society but also render the prison environment more peaceful and harmonious, she learned about Vipassana and its prior use in prisons”
It is a good and timely move by IGP to initiate such program which can be further expanded into following,
Anyone who wants to practice meditation shall start with Ana- Pana Satti where your concentrate in your breathing on and out, thus training yourself to concentrate your mind .Indian Guru Goenka who was instrumental in Dr Kiram Bedi’s meditation program always advocated that any Mediation shall be preceded by undertaking Pancha Seela and try to maintain throughout the day
That means police should vouch before meditation………..
- I will not kill/harm anyone ( refrain from beating up people and kill whether guilty or not or even aiming water cannons to harm people )
- I will not tell any lie ( refrain from booking people for no reason or coughed up offence –especially if you are on highway patrol)
- I will not steal ( refrain from taking santhosam/bribes kick backs from others )
- I will not engage in extramarital affairs (Refrain from asking sexual favours from people in exchange for leniency )
- I will not consume liquor (Refrain from consuming alcohols at least during working hours )
I would also like to add few more to the vouch.
- I will always use soft words and address every one “Sir” ,Madam “ or at least “Nangi.Malli or Lohu Unnahe ,Nande )
- I will not use harsh filthy words like “Yakko ,Tho’ Bolla .Paraya ,Balla ,Wesi ,Ballige Putha . Gaaniye ,Miniho etc etc
- I will smile all the time ( few years back there was such Traffic cop at Kolpettty junction who smiles at every driver –I wonder whether he is already in the heaven
Finally I suggest that colour of the uniform should also be changed to white ( at least the top) from the horrible Khaki look as it tends to give shudders to law abiding and non abiding citizens
Our Police Service can go to Guinness Book as the kindest police force during this decade and IGP will become a Real Poojitha , as per the Definition from a Dictionary .
- Your first name of Poojithahas made you a patient, meticulous person who enjoys working in a detailed, systematic way.
- You are determined and deliberate in pursuing your ambitions, but you must work at your own speed.
- You hate to be hurried or to leave anything unfinished or untidy.
- Your infinite patience would allow you to develop intricate, involved skills to perfection.
- Often feeling burdened with work, you worry about details out of proportion to their importance.
- Having definite ideas, you are skeptical and do not change easily, for you require proof, preferably in complete detail before you will alter an opinion.
- Once you are settled into a situation, you do not like to move or make changes.
- When on a schedule, you follow it implicitly
IGP Poojitha will be like Dr Kiran Beddi in time to come
Dr Sarath Obeysekera