Sri Lanka halts low season visa-free plan after bombings
Posted on April 25th, 2019

Courtesy The Daily Mirror

Sri Lankan Government said it was suspending plans to grant citizens of 39 countries visa-free entry during the country’s tourism low season after Easter Sunday terror attacks, AFP reported today.

Tourism Minister John Amaratunga in a statement said although arrangements were in place to issue visas on arrival for citizens of 39 countries, the government has now decided to hold it in consideration of the current security situation. 

“Investigations have revealed foreign links to the Easter attacks and we don’t want this programme to be abused,” he said.

Sri Lanka had announced last month a plan to allow visa-free entry to tourists from 39 countries, including EU members, Australia and the United States, during the low season, from May 1.

The scheme did not include China and India, from where many of Sri Lanka’s visitors come.

The devastating Easter Sunday suicide bombings against churches and hotels killed 359 people, including dozens of foreigners.

The blasts have rocked the country’s burgeoning tourism industry, which is one of the most important foreign exchange earners for the island.

Sri Lanka received 740,600 foreign tourists in the first three months of the year, up 4.6 percent from the same period a year earlier.

It welcomed a record 2.33 million tourists in 2018, and was named the world’s top travel destination for 2019 by the Lonely Planet guide book.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

 

 


Copyright © 2019 LankaWeb.com. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Wordpress