Shenali D Waduge
The question arises following a study that reveals Christianity influences the United Nations. This immediately takes us back to the age of discovery and the manner colonials together with Christian missionaries set out to ‘civilize’ the world by taking over all nations that were not Christian and called this mission the ‘white man’s burden’. Verbally ‘secularism’ is chanted but in practice the same nations with unaccounted blood on their hands continue to steer global policy. If colonialism and Christianity worked hand in glove then is it now the turn of neo-colonialists using the United Nations as a conduit where Vatican steers a global goal of domination? Can religions/institutions/governments and their heads that have yet to account for crimes, mass murders, genocide and annihilation of millions of people, their cultures and history be allowed to set the standards and norms for good governance & human rights leave alone pretend to be paragons of virtue amongst the masses?
Some factors cannot be dismissed or ignored
The dominance of Christianity is seen in the inscription outside the UN office in New York taken from Isaih.
There is no institution on Earth that has both the international stature and the global reach of the Holy See and no powerful representative functioning as head of a religion and given status as a State.
Christianity & EU constitution
In 2002 the Pope called for Christian values in EU constitution “How can we not mention the decisive contribution of the values which Christianity espouses and that have contributed to strengthening culture and humanism of which Europe feels legitimately proud and without which its most profound identity could not be understood?” Pope John Paul II has also lobbied European leaders for “a clear reference to God and the Christian faith to be formulated in the European constitution.”
- German leader Angela Merkel declared that Christian values needed to be embedded into the EU constitution
- the Polish primate, Cardinal Jozef Glemp, has said he supports EU entry “but only with God.”
- Roman Catholic primate in Hungary, Monsignor Peter Erdoe, said “Without Christianity, the heart of Europe would be missing.“
- Bishop Joseph Duffy of Clogher, Ireland represented the Irish Catholic Church. Referring to a meeting with the European Commission president, Romano Prodi, he is quoted as saying: “Religion is part of our identity. You can’t understand the history of Europe without acknowledging the impact of religion, which has made an enormous contribution to the identity of Europe.
- The Catholic Bishops’ Conference in England and some Jewish, Muslim and Protestant faith groups have also advocated inclusion of Christianity and God.
- 72% of EU population are Christian.
- Of the 28 EU states Christianity as state religion is in 4 countries : Denmark (Church of Denmark), Greece (Church of Greece), Malta (Roman Catholic Church) and England (Church of England)
Christianity & the UN
- A report “religious NGOs and the UN” (University of Kent) declares that Christianity dominates the UN and that more than 70% of NGOs in the UN are Christian and the Vatican enjoys a special observer status as both a State and a religion which is not enjoyed by any other religion. The study also reveals that Christian right cults are running the UN. The study also highlights that lack of funding is limiting Hinduism and Buddhism which are under-represented because they do not have big money lobbying inside the UN while Muslim NGOs represent the collective states in the OIC Organizaton of Islamic Cooperation. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/christianity-dominates-united-nations-concludes-study-9032598.html
- The Pope has come out again claiming that the migrant crisis is an ‘Arab invasion’ and calls for Europe to ‘rediscover its cultural roots’. The Pope can say that European is ‘weakened’ by forgetting its own history but when countries like Sri Lanka cry foul over attempts to erase its history it becomes a global issue against a bogus norm called ‘secularism’ and multiculturalism.
Christianity & International Trade
- Religion & Trade. Is religion compatible with globalization? The evidence from the regressions relating dominant religions and international trade suggests that dominant religion seems to have negative effect on trade. Focusing on individual religions reveals that most religions discourage trade. An exception is Buddhism, whose institutional and network effects both seem to encourage tradevhttp://www.freepatentsonline.com/article/Journal-Economics-Economic-Education-Research/166751911.html
- Jesus as CEO – America’s most successful churches are modelling themselves on businesses http://www.economist.com/node/5323597
- Most of the Christian nations always vote en bloc or will gather to pressure less powerful countries to cave in.
Christianity & Human Rights
- religious NGOs (especially evangelical Christian) are often a remnant of western colonialism and imperialism, as the primary goals of economic and political exploitation are pursued through manipulating attempts of conversion of faith
- Though Christian/Islamic NGOs have helped with many projects the underlying foundational concept of converting the population to a given faith cannot be ignored.
- faith-based humanitarian organisations have used aid as a pretext for spreading their faith, resulting in controversial programmes in which individuals are not given aid until they convert, as has been done by several controversial evangelical missionary organisations in Africa.
- The US Central Intelligence Agency has been accused of using humanitarian organistions and programmes as fronts for its intelligence operations. This came into light when a fake hepatitis B vaccination programme in Pakistan was used to identify the whereabouts of Osama bin Laden.
- Boston Globe investigation revealed that the US Government had given $1.7 billion to Christian faith-based organizations.
Church & Politics
- 50 out of the 55 men who framed the US Constitution were professing Christians. 11 of the 13 States required faith in Jesus Christ and the Bible as a qualification to hold public office. The Constitutions of the 50 States acknowledges and calls upon the Providence of God for the blessings of freedom.
- Churches have been actively involved in many recent controversial ballot initiatives and referenda in numerous states across the country.
- In the US, Combined, federal tax breaks on donations to churches and exemptions from state and local property taxes likely add up to something on the order of $25 billion in lost revenue each year.
- In 2011 churches received $96 billion in tax-free contributions, according to estimates compiled by the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University
- PEW study reveals $400 million is spent annually by the lobbyists to influence lawmakers – most advocacy groups spend somewhere around $1 million annually
- The manner Church lobbies and raises funds for politicians will reveal the extent to which Christianity eventually plays an integral role in politics and political decisions.
- The Reagan administration was the most Catholic administration in American history with all key officials being Catholic. http://churchandstate.org.uk/2012/03/how-the-vatican-influences-us-policy/
- One day in July 1944, as the Second World War raged throughout Europe, General William “Wild Bill” Donovan had an audience with the Pope. Donovan earned his knighthood by virtue of the services he rendered to the Catholic hierarchy in World War II as chief of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) predecessor to the CIA. Pope Pius’ decoration of Wild Bill Donovan marked the beginning of a long-standing, intimate relationship between the Vatican and U.S. intelligence that continues to the present day. http://churchandstate.org.uk/2013/04/cia-and-the-vaticans-intelligence-apparatus/
Christianity & Secularism
Nations that pronounce themselves as ‘secular’ need to first explain why their money continues to print ‘In God we trust’ or the Pledge of Allegiance says ‘Under God’ and why creches, crosses and religious mottos prevail on all public buidlings and why prayers in government meetings, public schools begin with reference to God? When it gets to the court it is quickly dismissed as ‘just tradtion’ yet the US national motto is ‘In God we trust’. This motto is in the money that America prints. The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892. The phrase ‘under God’ was added in 1954.
The immediate defense is to say that secularism is prevalent in the West too. However, it is not so much secularism but the fact that growing numbers of Christians are now questioning elements of Christianity which they were not allowed to do earlier and as a result have given up their faith altogether or are seeking faiths that can be scientifically proven. This has seen a rise in Westerner’s adopting Buddhism and Buddhist teachings. The decline in West’s Christian is made up easily by gathering more flocks in Africa and Asia where new converts are more faithful and forceful adherents than those born into the faith. This is why new converts from Asia and Africa are at the helm of media, human rights and other power lobbies where they can easily be manipulated from the head office in Europe!
How should we view the above in the context of the UN initiatives to create a global one world court with law & order under UN and away from sovereign governments, a global education system that denies national patriotic sentiment and will abolish civilizational histories. The UN has already prepared a guidebook for teachers that will destroy a child’s love for his country and instead promote world citizenship. National history will be replaced with universal history according to how those making the decision deems is the correct history! Monopoly of money, food and supply will come under a UN backed global economic order and various programs and aid/grants are a subtle way to force nations to agree to comply with the new structures. There are attempts to create a global one religion and incidentally the Vatican is the only religion to have a state and it becomes clear which values will become a dominant or main feature in this global religion! Human Rights is today steered by Christian based NGOs and Agenda 21 has been systematically laid out across governments who ignorantly buy into the ‘sustainable society’ agenda which however is a subtle means to take control over the earths, air, sea, water, land, food, communication and how we live. The Earth Charter was launched in 2000 by Mikhail Gorbachev and Steven Rockefeller. Gorbachev says “my hope is that this Charter will be a kind of Ten Commandments, a ‘sermon on the mount’ that provides a guide for human behaviour towards the environment to the next century’. This is the man who was responsible for the balkanizing of the Soviet Union.
In 2009 Caritas in Veritate, or “Charity in Truth.” was released. It outlined the Pope’s concerns regarding globalization and economics, corporate ethics, and the role of the Catholic Church in promoting social doctrine. Section 67 refers to a “world political authority” and Pope Benedict explained that this international agency should be given the power of enforcement” http://w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20090629_caritas-in-veritate.html (A MUST READ)
Some key passages reveal how alarming things are:
“To manage the global economy; to revive economies hit by the crisis; to avoid any deterioration of the present crisis and the greater imbalances that would result; to bring about integral and timely disarmament, food security and peace; to guarantee the protection of the environment and to regulate migration: for all this, there is urgent need of a true world political authority, as my predecessor Blessed John XXIII indicated some years ago.”
Section 57 says
“”In order not to produce a dangerous universal power of a tyrannical nature, the governance of globalization must be marked by subsidiarity, articulated into several layers and involving different levels that can work together. Globalization certainly requires authority, insofar as it poses the problem of a global common good that needs to be pursued. This authority, however, must be organized in a subsidiary and stratified way, if it is not to infringe upon freedom and if it is to yield effective results in practice.”
Subsidiarity can even be found in the UN system. Professor Robert Araujo explains that, “the principle of subsidiarity is recognized as a fundamental principle of the United Nations Organization.”
Paragraph 67 of Caritas in Veritate refers to “Reform the United Nations” connected to world taxation, a global enforcement component, and the creation of an international parliament.
Combine this with the new concept of Responsibility to Protect (R2P) a world federalist ideal that gives the UN a mandate to intervene domestically when a nation commits human rights violations
“To manage the global economy” does it mean return of Bank for International Settlements (international banking regulator) with IMF and World Bank steering new currency. The World Federalist Movement is slowly working with the UN & the Vatican to make Caritas in Veritate a reality.
It is only the Third World nations and their reawakening that can take control of the situation.
Authors note:Criticism is welcome based on the contents without name calling and personal insults.
Shenali D Waduge