President denies he was informed about Easter attacks in advance
Posted on May 30th, 2019

Courtesy Adaderana

President Maithripala Sirisena has denied media reports claiming that he was informed of a possible terror plot during a meeting with senior police officers on April 08.

Media reports have publish the statements made by the Head of the National Intelligence Service,, while testifying before the Parliamentary Select Committee appointed to look into and report on the Easter Sunday terror attacks which took place in the country on April 21.

The media reports stated that the National Security Council did not meet after the month of February 2019.

However, issuing a statement today (30) the President’s Media Division stated that as there were media reports appearing unofficially on the proceedings of the NSC, it was decided to establish an NSC with a new format and this has been in operation for more than one year. 

The new NSC has been meeting every two weeks and, on some occasions the President has convened the meetings of the NSC every week,” the PMD said.

Furthermore it said that, on April 8, 2019, the President has convened the monthly meeting of the Inspector General of Police and senior police officers. 

This meeting was held for more than two hours and none of the police officers informed the President that advance reports on a possible terrorist attack had been received, the statement said.

Neither the Defence Secretary, Inspector General of Police nor any other officer had informed the President about a warning letter received from a friendly foreign country about the impending April 21 terrorist attacks.”

Hence, the President states that the media reports claiming that the President had been informed about the impending attack were absolutely false, the PMD said.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

 

 


Copyright © 2019 LankaWeb.com. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Wordpress