Rajapaksa denies ‘coup plot’ allegations 
Posted on January 14th, 2015

Adaderana

 Military spokesman Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasooriya said he is unaware of Rajapaksa’s order to the military to back him, maintaining that the military stayed out of all the stages of the electoral process.

Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa has denied allegations that he tried to cling on to power, saying he decided to let then-opposition presidential candidate Maithripala Sirisena assume the country’s top post after looking at the trend of election results in the early hours of Friday.

When U.S. State Secretary John Kerry spoke to Rajapaksa over the phone, the former president assured him there will be a smooth power transition as stipulated in the constitution,” Rajapaksa’s spokesman, Mohan Samaranayake told Reuters.

Rajapaksa, who gathered 47.6 percent of the vote compared to Sirisena’s 51.3 percent, conceded his defeat and left his official residence before the official results were announced.

The campaign spokesman of the new president claimed on Saturday that the Sri Lankan army defied orders from President Rajapaksa to keep him in his post by force” even after he lost his bid for a third term.

The army chief got orders to deploy the troops on the ground across the country. They tried attempts to continue by force. The army chief defied all the orders he got in the last hours,” Rajitha Senaratne had told reporters in Colombo.

We spoke to the army chief and told him not to do this. He kept the troops in the barracks and helped a free and fair election,” Senaratne also said.

Military spokesman Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasooriya said he is unaware of Rajapaksa’s order to the military to back him, maintaining that the military stayed out of all the stages of the electoral process.

Sri Lanka’s military will not do anything to disrupt the democratic traditions and process,” he said.

http://www.adaderana.lk/news/29397/rajapaksa-denies-coup-plot-allegations-

2 Responses to “Rajapaksa denies ‘coup plot’ allegations ”

  1. Nanda Says:

    Update : Previous owner of the light aircraft found in Narahenpita yesterday Chandran Rathnam express his views.

    Wednesday, 14 January 2015 – 13:28 | Download hirunews app on Android & Apple

    update-previous-owner-light-aircraft-found-in-narahenpita-yesterday-chandran-rathnam-express-his-views
    Film director Chandram Rathnam says that the light aircraft found in a store of the Narahenpita Economic Center was gifted by him to former President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s son Yoshitha Rajapaksa.

    He said that he gifted the controversial light aircraft to Yoshitha in the month of January last year.

    This light aircraft had been stored earlier at the Asian Air Center, a private pilot training institution at Ratmalana.

    Yoshitha Rajapaksa who visited the training center earlier had asked Chandran Rathnam whether he could give the light aircraft.

    Speaking to our news team, film maker Chanran Rathnam said that he is not aware of any information about the aircraft after it was gifted to Yoshitha.

    On a tip-off to police, this two-seater light aircraft was found in a store belonging to the Economic Center at Narahenpita yesterday afternoon.

    A person at Narahenpita Economic Centre has telephoned Film Director Chandram Ratnam last evening, and requested his support to dismantle the parts of an aircraft.

    Accordingly, Chandram Ratnam said that he sent 4 officers attached to an aircraft training centre.

    A statement is to be recorded from Film Director Chandram Ratnam this evening at Narahenpita Police.

  2. Christie Says:

    Read Indian news papers, nth State or Estate of India. Jai Hind

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

 

 


Copyright © 2018 LankaWeb.com. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Wordpress